Like us on Facebook

Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Little Bit About Where I Come From

A work in progress, I'm totally aware of who (and whatever) is around me, I'm cool, practical and a bit of an air-head sometimes. Luckily, I tend to get back on track quickly . I think of myself as being charming with a winsome smile, that is, when I'm happy. I've been there and done that. I have seen so many places.

I love reading, travelling and meeting interesting people. Quick-learner, I'm always on the lookout for new and exciting things to do and make. Some, I end up doing (and making!) some, I don't.

That is a politically correct introduction of me. As every human being who has reached his or her forties, I have been through a lot. I have had my share of suffering and hurting, heartache and pain. And happiness.

I love reading about Spirituality and practice moments of quietness. I hope to get a Master's in English Literature. I place a lot of stock in good living based on the right choices. Moderation is my motto.

I live in Porto Alegre, in the state of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, South America. RS is further down on the map neighboring Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay. We are Gaúchos. The pampas cowboys. Interesting to note that before Positivism, we used to be cattle rustlers and all that the monarchies (Spain, Portugal) did not like. The Republic brought order and progress and ourselves. A new people.

Brazil, as you know from Carnaval and Soccer, (Mulattas and Mulattoes) is a powerhouse – full of possibilities and potential. Our contrasting society where you see people with billions and people with nothing is warm and open to new ideas. It is a pity that our education is not A1. Don’t be mistaken: it is a small minority of people who can write and speak in a foreign language like I do. I have applied myself and walked the extra mile. Literally, went places.

Now don’t be fooled. When you see photos in some sites that show Brazilian women with their behinds in evidence they in no way depict the Brazilian society I know. Or my girlfriends. Some women have reached the heights of power and they deplore the image of Brazilian women that is sold abroad. In some countries in Europe, Brazilian women are seen as less than they deserve. Not that there aren’t Brazilian women who, perhaps led by necessity, engage in work some of us might frown upon. I'm aware that they may have a role to play.

Additionally, I should be quick to point out that yes, you will have a good time when you set foot in the warmer parts of this vast country if you heed my advice: do not ever be caught “red-handed” or with your "pants-down”. We are known to be slow with Justice. Believe-me, if you are caught, you will go down with a bang. Clang! Gay or straight. Younger than eighteen? Forget it!

Okay with the above? Great! Come and see us. And have a good time.





Isn't it beautiful?

4 comments:

  1. Really nice! So much to discover in your country.

    When I went to Rio, my guide book said that no matter how laidback Brazilians may look like, PDA and nudity (even topless for women) was a no-no on the beach, and I could see it was true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hei...I was in RS in november, I took a visit to Bento Gonçalves e Serra Gauçha! So amazing, found so nice people over there.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you found people that shared your surname, Massi. I've met many "Massi" along these years.

    Eduardo, I think top less is frowned upon in more "family" beaches. Now as to the other aspects of "freedeom" that usually foreigners want to see or perhaps experience, you cannot see in broad daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...not so many...but lot of people that came from Italy on 19th and 20th century.

    ReplyDelete