Like us on Facebook

Sunday, April 15, 2012

On When You Are Searching For Answers

After about a month without updating my blog, I feel I owe my readers an apology. I have not been under a rock and unaware of what is going on in the world.

Not really, I have been watching events and shaking my head at what i see:  That event in Florida where a young man lost his life to an overzealous vigilante left me glued to my seat and at the computer for the latest details to emerge; I've also followed the Republican race to the White House all the way down to their last nominee; I have also read about distant nations and their problems as  I have read scandals closer to home: foremost amongst them is the secret service sex scandal in Colombia. It reminded me of an old saying that says 'I never evacuate in my own backyard, but I will do it in yours'. Well, sexual mores are different in the United States and, if you ask me, protection agents should have the highest standards of probity. Enough said!

To go back to the racial profiling one sees in the United States, much has been discussed about what to do to make things better for minorities up in the North. Unfortunately, the problem will not just dissolve or vanish into thin air. What those folks need is a complete overhaul in their educational set-up, and the political will to implement it. Not easy. it's century-old. They are no longer in shackles, physical, but they are in mental.

Will removing guns stop the killing? In Britain, as one example, there are no guns on the streets and, still, they will find ways to off one another. Is it racism?

Something has got to be done, and this is when I should point to the solution, but I don't have one. It's complicated. It's painful and it is heartbreaking. I wish I had the answer.
Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

  1. But I noticed you are very active in Facebook.

    We don't have the answers either but one thing is for sure...allowing more guns isn't either.

    I only wish you could be here and actually feel the division, all the vitriol, lies and lack of decency...the Republicans have gone overboard in their lack of civility and don't realize that what they want is more tyrannical and odious.
    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fueling divisions, are they not, Raulito? Hopefully, one day, we will all head towards a utopian society where everyone is equal - in all senses...

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think education is important, Mauro, though that won't help when it comes to emotionally/mentally-disturbed people who won't know any better regardless of their education level.

    As for Republicans, speaking of emotionally/mentally-disturbed people, I'm reminded of a quote from the movie Philadelphia Story starring Katherine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart..."With the rich and mighty, always a little patience."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, J.P.

    There are so many variables in this particular case. Where to begin? True you don't learn good sense at school. It is IN you.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As outspoken as I am, it is at times like this that I find myself speechless. I wish there was something I could say, a comforting word or if I were there with you to offer you my shoulder and a hug to alleviate your pain.
    I seldom go into Facebook and when I did I found out about your tragic loss.
    Mauro, my thoughts are with you.
    Saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks, Raulito. I don't know what to say, as the title of this blog implies. I guess stuff happens to those who are living. Thanks for your lovely words.

    ReplyDelete